Up to
50% OFF
RAC Breakdown Cover*
  • At Home with every breakdown cover level
  • A 20-mile taxi as standard so you can keep going^
  • Plus a FREE health check for your car**

*New, single personal based cover from £7 a month. Max 50% saving with Unlimited cover. Ends 25/04/22, 7am.

Get more breakdown cover for your money

At Home
as standard
Unlike some providers, we won't make you upgrade for cover at home.
Taxi home
from the garage
Get a 20-mile taxi, so you can carry on even if your car can't.
FREE car
health check
Get a 20-point check to make sure your car’s running smoothly.**

Compare our breakdown cover


5 callouts
Roadside Assistance
At Home
SALE - 39% OFF*

Personal cover - was £11.50 now £7/month

£7 monthly
£77 annual


Unlimited callouts
Roadside Assistance
At Home
National Recovery
SALE - 50% OFF*

Personal cover - was £16.00 now £8/month

£8 monthly
£88 annual

*New, single personal based cover from £7 a month. Max 50% saving with Unlimited cover. Ends 25/04/22, 7am.

Breakdown cover explained

What is car breakdown cover?

Breakdown cover is there to help if your vehicle breaks down in the UK. For example, if you get a puncture or a flat battery. It means you can call for help and an expert will arrive to fix you on the spot or provide you with breakdown recovery to a nearby garage.

We offer car breakdown cover, as well as cover for electric and hybrid vehicles, motorbikes and more. There are different levels of cover to choose from. Most providers only offer Roadside Assistance as standard. But at the RAC, we include Roadside Assistance and At Home cover with every cover level.

What types of breakdown cover are there?

You can buy breakdown cover for a particular vehicle, or a person in any vehicle.

Whichever type you choose, Roadside Assistance and a minimum 10 mile tow are available.

Vehicle cover

Vehicle breakdown cover means your vehicle is covered no matter who is driving. You can cover up to 3 vehicles registered to the same address on the same policy.

Personal cover

Personal breakdown cover means you’re covered in any vehicle as a driver or passenger. You can cover up to 5 people from the same household on the same policy.

Which level of cover is best for me?

We offer 2 levels of cover: Standard and Unlimited. With both levels of cover, you get Roadside Assistance and At Home cover. You can also add optional extras, like 'Onward Travel'.

Here are the main differences to help you find the right cover for you.


This is our cheapest level of breakdown cover available and provides you with the following:

  • 5 callouts
    Think you'll need more? you can upgrade to Unlimited cover for unlimited callouts.
  • Roadside Assistance
    We’ll fix you on the spot. Or if we can’t, you'll get breakdown recovery up to 10-miles to a garage or another destination.
  • At Home
    Unlike others, we won’t make you upgrade to get ‘Home Start’. We’ll rescue you anywhere, and we’ll always try to fix you on the spot.


In addition to everything in Standard, you also get unlimited callouts and National Recovery:

  • Unlimited callouts
    You can call us out as many times as you need, as long as it’s not for a recurring problem.
  • National Recovery
    Instead of a 10-mile tow, we'll tow you and your passengers to any garage or destination the UK.


Find more information in our complete guide to breakdown cover.

Cover to avoid a big bill
from just £3 a month1
Onward Travel
Get a hire car, alternative transport or a hotel while your vehicle is being fixed.
Tyre Replace
Get up to £150 per tyre to repair or replace a damaged or punctured tyre.
Battery Replace
Get a new battery if yours can't be re-charged – a new one costs £160 on average.
Key Replace
Replace lost keys and fobs easily. Without cover, new ones cost £300 on average.

Even more reasons to choose the RAC

A free car health check when you join
Only with the RAC. Make sure your car’s in tip-top condition with a free 20-point health check.** You never know – it could help you avoid a breakdown in the first place.
We fix 4 out of 5 on the spot

Some providers tow you straight to a garage. But our expert local patrols fix most at the roadside, in 30 minutes on average - saving you the cost of a garage fix.

No hidden costs

We'll never charge you for labour or fitting. It’s all included in the price, so you know where you stand.

Cover to suit you

With Standard and Unlimited cover - plus a range of add-ons -  we have the breakdown cover to suit your needs.

Answers to your questions

Q. What vehicles do you cover?

We provide car breakdown cover for vehicles of any age. We also cover hybrids, electric vehicles, classic cars, motorbikes, campervans and vans. Your vehicle must be:

  • UK registered
  • a maximum of 3.5 tonnes, 6.4 m long (and 2.5 m wide - that’s roughly the weight and size of a Ford Transit long wheelbase van)
  • a motorcycle over 49cc (or 121cc in Europe)

For caravans and motorhomes, we can offer roadside assistance and recovery with our RAC Arrival product.

View our vehicle eligibility page to find out which vehicles are excluded.

Q. Will my breakdown cover start straight away?

Both our Standard and Unlimited cover include Roadside Assistance and At Home cover which begin on your start date, as long as you haven’t already broken down. You can select this when you complete your purchase.

With Unlimited cover you also get National Recovery and the option to add Onward Travel which both start 24 hours later.

Key Replace, Battery Replace and Tyre Replace cover start 14 days after your breakdown cover start date.

If you’ve already broken down, do not buy online. Please call 0330 159 8743.

Q. Do I pay monthly or annually?

You can choose to pay on a monthly basis or pay upfront for the full length of your plan. 

Q. What RAC Rewards are included?

Your RAC membership also comes with exclusive discounts on car maintenance, travel and leisure. This includes 25% off airport parking, up to 51% off theme park tickets and more. See all your RAC Rewards.


Q. What if I use my vehicle for business?

You’ll need RAC Business Breakdown Cover instead. You can choose a 12 or 24 month contracts for commercial cars, vans, taxis, minibuses and more.

Q. How much is breakdown cover?

The cheapest level of breakdown cover starts from £7 a month. This is for our Standard level of cover for 1 person. Exactly how much your breakdown cover costs depends on:

  • The level of cover you choose – Standard or Unlimited
  • The type of cover you choose – personal cover usually costs more than vehicle cover
  • How many vehicles or people you cover – the more you add, the more it will cost
  • Whether you need add-ons – like Onward Travel, Key Replace, Battery Replace or Tyre Replace

Q. Does RAC Breakdown Cover protect me if I travel to Europe?

European cover doesn’t come as standard with your UK breakdown cover. To make sure you’re covered if you travel to Europe, you can:

If you buy European breakdown cover as a standalone policy, you can choose between single-trip cover for a one-off journey – or annual cover for multiple trips during the year.

Q. How can I get a breakdown cover quote?

The easiest way to get a breakdown cover quote is online. You can get started here – and it only takes a few minutes.

Alternatively, you can call us on 0330 159 1019.

Q. Can I use my breakdown cover for a flat tyre?

If you get a flat tyre, you can call us for help. We’ll try to fix your tyre, fit your spare tyre for you, or help you find a replacement tyre.

You can also buy ‘Tyre Replace cover’. This covers you for up to 5 new tyres a year, worth up to £150 each, if yours are punctured or damaged.

Q. Do you provide breakdown recovery if I have a pet in the car?

If you break down and have pets in the car, we’ll come out to help you. If we can’t fix you there and then, you may need a recovery. In this case, pets can travel in the patrol or recovery vehicle at the discretion of the patrol or recovery driver and their owners. But please bear in mind that this is solely at the owners’ risk. Our patrols and recovery drivers also have the right to refuse to take any animal in their cab.

We recommend that you let us know if you have pets in the vehicle when you call us.

Q. Can I combine car insurance with breakdown cover?

Yes, you can. Some car insurance providers allow you to buy breakdown cover as an added extra. You may find that they only offer basic breakdown cover, and you need to pay extra to upgrade. Before you buy breakdown cover, you should check that it’s not already included with your car insurance. RAC Car Insurance and RAC Temporary Car Insurance both include the option to add breakdown cover.

Enjoy exclusive perks for free

Available with every level of cover.
Free legal helpline
Expert legal advice on driving, property, employment and more.
Free accident care
Help to get you back on the road quickly if you have an accident.2
Everyday discounts
Woohoo! Get money off car maintenance and up to 50% off travel and trips.
Join the RAC now for complete peace of mind

How else can we help?

European breakdown cover
Driving over to Europe? You’ll need European breakdown cover. Choose from single trip or annual trip.
Compare breakdown cover
See how we compare to other breakdown cover companies, like the AA and Green Flag.
Breakdown cover deals
View the latest offers and promotions on RAC breakdown cover today.