Already a member?

The quickest and easiest way to get help today is online or using the MyRAC app.


If you would prefer to speak to a member of the team, call us on 0333 2000 999. Lines open 24/7.

Not an RAC member? RAC can still help

If you’ve broken down but don’t have cover with us, we can still rescue you. 

Don't buy breakdown cover online. We’re here to help 24/7, 365 days a year. But if you buy breakdown cover online after breaking down, we won’t be able to attend. Just give us a call instead. 

However, if you’re stuck in the live lane of a motorway or dual carriageway and/or feel you’re in immediate danger, please call 999 first. Your vehicle must also have a valid MOT and road tax.

Here’s what we can do with emergency breakdown cover: 

  • We’ll send help to you today
    Whether you’ve broken down on the road or at home, we’ll try to fix your vehicle there and then. If we can’t, we’ll tow you up to 10 miles.
  • Access to member benefits + services
    Your pay as you go membership also includes access to member discounts on travel, days out and car maintenance. Plus accident care and a free legal helpline.

If want to find out more about our levels of cover, please visit our dedicated RAC breakdown cover page.

Why choose the RAC?

Whether you’re looking for breakdown cover or emergency breakdown help, the RAC is here to help. Here’s why you should choose us:

  • The RAC is the UK’s most experienced breakdown provider
    We have over 120 years’ experience

  • We fix 4 out of 5 vehicles at the roadside
    You’ll be back on the road in just 30 minutes on average

  • Our patrols have been with us for over 10 years on average
    You’re in safe hands with our expert patrols

  • We carry 500+ parts and tools in our vans
    This includes a range of batteries and our universal spare wheel – just in case you don’t have a spare

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I was involved in an accident - should I still contact you?

Yes. Accident Care is included as a member benefit at no additional charge. If you’ve been involved in a road traffic collision, in the UK, the RAC may be able to help with post-accident assistance. Call us on 0333 2000 999 from the scene and we can offer advice on whether you can drive the vehicle, arranging recovery for you and your family, whether you need to make a claim in your car insurance, and a replacement vehicle, if necessary.

Q. Will you come out if I’ve run out of fuel?

Yes. If you run out fuel, the RAC can come to help.

Q. My car won’t start. Can you help?

If your car won’t start, we can help. If you’re at the roadside and your car cannot start, we’ll try to get your car going again and get you moving. If there’s a fault with your car’s starter battery and we can’t recharge it, we can fit a new battery.

If you’ve broken down at home and need help, contact us to tell us the problem and we can discuss your options.

Q. Should I call the police?

If there is nowhere secure for you and any passengers to wait, or you feel unsafe at all, then you should call the police to inform them that you have broken down.

Q. Is it free to call the emergency number?

Yes, the emergency services telephones positioned along motorways are free to call. They connect directly to the police, or the Highways Agency.

Q. Is there a call out charge?

If you break down without cover there is a fixed fee for RAC to attend and support you.

RAC offer a range of cover types to meet your needs, most do not come with a call out charge.

Q. Should I attempt to fix the problem myself?

Some basic faults can be fixed. You may have changed a flat tyre before and, with a spare wheel on board, can carry out such a repair. If you feel confident in fixing the problem then you can try - but you must be in a safe position first. If you are in any doubt or don’t feel safe, call the RAC for help.

Q. Do you give priority to vulnerable people?

We aim to get to all members as quickly as possible, though do consider circumstances when responding to breakdowns.

Make sure to check out our services for Blue Badge holders here.

Q. How do I contact RAC customer services?

To speak to our RAC Customer Services team, please call us on 0330 159 0740.

Q. I’ve broken down on the motorway without breakdown cover. Can you still help me?

Yes, we can help you if you’ve broken down on the motorway without breakdown cover. Please call 0330 159 8743 for instant breakdown cover.

Q. How do I know if I have breakdown cover?

You can get breakdown cover from lots of different places, including:

  • directly from a breakdown provider, such as the RAC
  • with a vehicle purchase
  • with car insurance, travel insurance or bank account

If you’re not sure whether you have breakdown cover, it’s worth checking your records before you buy. This includes your emails and hard-copy documents. You can also call a provider to see if you’re covered.

Q. I have broken down whilst abroad - can you still help me?

We can assist you at the roadside if your vehicle breaks down in Europe, provided that you have purchased RAC European breakdown cover before your trip.
Join the RAC today to start building your breakdown cover

Find out more