Caravan, Motorhome and Campervan Breakdown Cover

Arrival is the RAC’s breakdown cover developed exclusively with The Camping and Caravanning Club. It includes everything that you’d expect from the RAC together with specialist benefits designed for caravans, motorhomes and campervans. And now you can choose cover specifically designed for whatever you’re driving or towing.

Choose your breakdown cover below or call us on 0330 159 0358.

Rescue Anywhere

We won't make you upgrade for cover at home — wherever you break down we'll be there.

Best in Market Cover

The best breakdown cover for caravan and motorhome owners in the UK.

More Choice

We've got the perfect cover for you — no matter what you're driving or towing.

Not a member of The Camping and Caravanning Club?

Save money at The Camping & Caravanning Club

Get your first year’s membership to The Camping and Caravanning Club included** 

As a Club member you’ll also enjoy all these benefits:

Save up to 30% on bookings at over 100 UK campsites
Access to 1,300 Certificated Sites
Exclusive member deals and an award-winning monthly magazine

Already a member of the club? Click here to buy your Arrival cover.


Let's choose your breakdown cover

What do I need to know?

Any towing vehicle is covered as long as it’s designed to tow a caravan and weighs less than 3.5 tonnes

There are no height, weight or length restrictions for the vehicle you tow.

What do I need to know?

There are no vehicle height, weight or length restrictions.

You’re also covered if you wish to tow any vehicle.

What do I need to know?

Your vehicle needs to weigh less than 3.5 tonnes.

You’re also covered if you use your campervan to tow a caravan, trailer or trailer tent.

If you only tow a trailer or trailer tent, please call us on 0330 159 0357 to find out more about our trailer breakdown cover.

RAC Arrival Best in market - UK and European Breakdown Cover

What does the RAC offer that the other major providers don't? Click here to find out.

Frequently Asked Questions

With vehicle based cover, the vehicle is covered, it doesn’t matter who is driving or towing. With personal based cover, you are covered as the passenger or driver in any eligible vehicle.

Q. Will you attend if I'm the passenger?

Yes, provided you’ve got personal based cover.

Q. Why do I need caravan or motorhome breakdown cover?

Our conventional RAC UK breakdown cover doesn't cover large caravans and motorhomes that exceed 3.5 tonnes, 6.4 metres long including tow bar, 2.55 metres wide and 3 metres high.

Most breakdown providers have these restrictions, you may want to check your terms and conditions, along with your vehicle size and weight, to ensure your cover is valid.

Additionally when you are towing, RAC conventional breakdown cover will not recover you if the fault is with your caravan, only if the fault is with your towing vehicle.

With Arrival we offer additional cover which is not included in our conventional UK breakdown cover:

  • Arrival Follow-on: We’ll tow your caravan or trailer to a second location following recovery of your vehicle, up to 75 miles.
  • Arrival Return: If you’re travelling to a campsite and your vehicle breaks down, if the trip is 2 days or more, we’ll recover the vehicle onward to your campsite, and if the vehicle cannot be repaired before you’re due to leave, we’ll recover you, your passengers, and vehicle (including your caravan or trailer) back home. 
  • Assistance if you’ve topped up with the wrong fuel. With Arrival we’ll drain & flush your vehicles fuel system and top it up with the correct fuel.
  • The cost of specialist equipment to recover your vehicle, Arrival covers the cost of specialist recovery vehicles or a crane, etc.
  • Recovery of your vehicle and/or caravan or trailer when it’s stuck in snow, mud, flood or sand, when it’s safe to do so
  • Hire car with a tow bar – essential if your vehicle breaks down whilst you’re towing. With Arrival we’ll try to provide you with a replacement hire car with a tow bar (subject to availability).
Q. Will you tow my caravan as well as my car?

Yes, If you only have Standard cover our Patrols will attempt to repair your vehicle at the roadside and if that’s not possible we’ll tow both your vehicle and caravan or trailer up to 10 miles.

If you choose Advanced or Ultimate cover, whether it’s your vehicle or caravan that’s broken down, we’ll help you with recovering both. Here’s how:

  • Arrival Recovery: If your vehicle breaks down we can tow to a single destination anywhere in the UK.
  • Arrival Follow-on: We’ll tow your caravan or trailer to a second location following recovery of your vehicle, up to 75 miles from where we towed the vehicle.
  • Arrival Return: If you’re travelling to a campsite and your vehicle breaks down, if the trip is 2 days or more, we’ll recover the vehicle onward to your campsite. If the vehicle cannot be repaired before you’re due to leave, we’ll recover you, your passengers, and vehicle including caravan or trailer back home. 
Q. If I breakdown on holiday will you take me and my caravan back home after my stay?

Yes, if you choose Advanced or Ultimate cover. If you breakdown on holiday and your vehicle can’t be repaired before you return home we’ll take you, any passengers, your vehicle and your caravan back home.

Q. Are there any length, width or weight restrictions?

Motorhome cover – there are no restrictions

Caravan cover – there are no restrictions on the caravan, but your  towing vehicle must weigh under 3.5 tonnes.

Campervan cover – the vehicle must weigh under 3.5 tonnes 

Many breakdown providers have these restrictions so be sure to check your policy so that you don’t get caught out if your vehicle breaks down. The overall size restrictions include the tow bar which can often cause vehicles to exceed the length restrictions. 

Q. Do all vehicles or members on a policy have to live at the same address?

Yes, our levels of cover are intended to cover you and, in the case of joint / family membership, your household. Therefore, all people covered by the policy must live at the registered policy address. All vehicles listed on the membership must be registered at the membership address too.

Q. How do I get my first year’s Camping and Caravanning Club membership Welcome pack?

Non-members of the Camping and Caravanning Club purchasing Arrival breakdown cover will receive their Welcome pack for their first year’s membership directly from the Camping and Caravanning Club within 20 working days of your Arrival breakdown policy start date.

If you haven’t received your Welcome pack within 20 working days of your Arrival policy start date, contact the Camping and Caravanning Club membership services team directly on 02476 475387 who will be able to advise.

Q. I’m already covered with conventional RAC Breakdown Cover – can I upgrade to Arrival?

Yes, if you’re a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club, you can call us on 0330 159 0427 to switch over.

If you're not a member of the Club, then you can call us on 0330 159 0427 to join and switch over. You'll receive Camping and Caravanning Club membership included with your breakdown cover for the first year.

Q. How far will you tow my car and caravan?

With Arrival Standard cover we’ll tow your vehicle, caravan or trailer up to 10 miles. 

If you buy Arrival Advanced or Ultimate, you'll benefit from the following:

Arrival Recovery: If your vehicle breaks down, we can tow to a single destination anywhere in the UK.

Arrival Follow-on: We’ll tow your caravan or trailer to a second location following recovery of your vehicle, up to 75 miles from where we tow your vehicle.

Arrival Return: If you’re travelling to a campsite and your vehicle breaks down, if the trip is 2 days or more, we’ll recover the vehicle onward to your campsite. 

Q. What service will you provide if I top-up with the wrong fuel?

With RAC Arrival Breakdown Cover, if you top up with the wrong fuel we’ll drain & flush the fuel system, top your vehicle up with up to 10 litres of the correct fuel and if that doesn’t solve the problem we’ll tow you to a local garage so that you can get your vehicle repaired. 

Q. What if my vehicle breaks down before I’m due to travel to Europe?

With Arrival European Breakdown added to you membership, you’ll have enhanced cover up to 7 days prior to your planned departure. You’ll be entitled to a hire vehicle whilst your vehicle is being repaired. 

If your vehicle isn’t repaired prior to your planned departure date, you’re covered for up to 23 days hire and can take the hire vehicle to Europe. If your trip exceeds the 23 days hire you’ll be able to arrange and pay to continue hire directly with the hire car provider.

Q. What is leisure battery cover?

If your leisure battery runs out of charge, we’ll help to source a replacement and arrange for one of our patrols to fit it, subject to availability.

When an RAC patrol attends to fit the new leisure battery, we’ll provide a battery charger to allow you to charge your battery when your caravan or motorhome has been stored for a long period. 

Q. What is the tyre replacement support offered with Arrival?

If your caravan, motorhome or campervan has a puncture we will send a patrol out to try and help source and fit a replacement.

Q. Can I buy caravan cover if the vehicle I tow the caravan with is over 6.4m long?

If the towing vehicle weighs less than 3.5 tonnes then you will be able to buy caravan cover. If it weighs more than 3.5 tonnes then motorhome cover might be a better option as this has no restrictions and cover for your towed vehicle is included.

Q. I tow a caravan sometimes and use a motorhome other times? What cover is best?

Motorhome cover will be the best cover option for you as this has no restrictions and allows you to tow. 

Q. Can I buy the tyre breakdown extra for my camper van?
Yes, RAC’s tyre breakdown extra is available to campervans.
Q. Is there anything I need to know for travelling to Europe?

From 1 January 2021 you should make sure you have the following items before travelling to Europe:

  • Insurance green card: contact your insurer to check if you need a green card which is an internationally recognised certificate of insurance. You will need to carry multiple green cards if:
    • you have two policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey
    • your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan, you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer/caravan. You also need separate trailer insurance in some countries you have fleet insurance – e.g. one green card for each vehicle
    • Vehicle logbook: take your vehicle log book, known as the V5C form from the DVLA, if you have one to show you are the registered keeper
  • GB sticker: display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle, even if the number plate has the EU symbol. This is not needed in the Republic of Ireland
  • International Driving Permits (IDPs): You will only need to obtain an IDP if you do not carry a photocard driving licence. For example, if you only have a paper licence. You may obtain an IDP from the Post Office at a cost of £5.50. It’s important to realise that different countries require different types of IDP and you may need more than one type depending on which countries you drive through. These should be taken alongside your paper GB or NI driving licence. Different rules apply for those with licences issued in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Gibraltar.
  • Caravan/Trailer registration: some commercial and non-commercial trailers or caravans need to be registered before towing them to or through most EU and EEA countries. Find out more here.
  • Pets: check and follow UK Government guidance for taking pets abroad
  • Taking food and drink to the EU: Milk or meat-based products will need to be consumed before passing the EU border control point, these products are banned with having the required paperwork. There are exemptions such as infant foods.  

Visit RAC Drive for everything you need to know about driving in the EU post-Brexit. The full government advice can be found here

Find all the information you need to have a better understanding of the different levels of cover that the RAC have on offer


Many vehicle breakdowns happen at home - but with RAC At Home Cover you can get on with your day quickly again.


If your vehicle breaks down miles away from home, National Recovery cover from the RAC could prove invaluable - find out more here


If your vehicle cannot be fixed at the side of the road, our vehicle recovery service will transport it to either a garage or back to your home address


If your vehicle can't be fixed in the same day after a breakdown, RAC's onward travel product helps you to make alternative travel plans to continue your journey.


Vehicle Breakdown Cover can be a great value option if you’re looking for cheap breakdown cover - this guide from the RAC looks at the benefits of it.


Family breakdown cover provides vehicle cover for several members of your family within a joint policy.


Multi-car breakdown cover enables you to get breakdown cover for several vehicles under one policy.


Find out more about our offering for electric and hybrid vehicles here.

We also cover

Our breakdown patrol will know you're a blue badge holder before they reach you.


Keep your business moving with tailored breakdown assistance for 1 to 100+ vehicles.


RAC European Breakdown Cover provides you with peace of mind and comprehensive single-trip or annual cover you can rely on during your holidays.


Punctures, battery problems, non-starts and cut-outs are all covered. We'll even come out if you run out of fuel.


Put the wrong fuel in your car? Don't panic. Call us now for our Fuel Drain Service.

Driving hints & tips

Before buying breakdown cover, it’s useful to read reviews. Check out the RAC’s score on Trustpilot.


Find the answers to a range of breakdown related question covering both UK, European and Business Breakdown cover


Not sure what that light on your dashboard means? View our guide and easily identify what that warning light means


More and more new cars are being built without space for a spare wheel. Find out how we have used innovation to overcome this problem


 Comparison based on RAC Arrival against top level of cover from other major providers as of 11.10.2021. Click here to find out more.

**Not available to current Camping and Caravanning Club members. The RAC will forward your details onto The Camping and Caravanning Club for them to set up free membership for one year. They will send you more information about the Club including a campsite directory. These should be sent to you in approximately 21 days. For enquiries about your Camping and Caravanning Club membership please call 0247 647 5442. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer and may be withdrawn at any time.

Calls from landlines may be charged up to 9p per minute, plus a 15p call set up fee. Calls from mobiles may cost between 8p and 40p per minute. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded.

Breakdown cover arranged and administered by RAC Financial Services Limited (Registered No 05171817) and provided by RAC Motoring Services (Registered No 01424399) and/or RAC Insurance Ltd (Registered No 2355834). Registered in England and Wales; Registered Offices: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall WS5 4AW. RAC Motoring Services and RAC Financial Services Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. RAC Insurance Ltd is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.

© 2022 RAC Motoring Services. All rights reserved.