Free upgrade to our Bike Insurance Plus for members*

Includes Personal Accident and Helmet & Leathers cover as standard

Get a quote   
Retrieve a quote   

I'm already a customer

Motorbike Insurance

From mopeds to supersport bikes, you can trust your pride and joy with the motoring experts. Product options include our standard Bike Insurance and our enhanced Bike Insurance Plus, as well as a suite of Optional Extras to ensure you get the cover that’s right for you. Members are automatically upgraded to Bike Insurance Plus for free!

24/7 claims management service

Exclusive members offer* - free upgrade to our new Bike Insurance Plus. See below for cover details

90 days EU cover as standard

Why choose RAC Motorbike Insurance?

We’ve been rescuing bikers like you for 120 years and so we like to think we’ve learnt a thing or two about bikers needs. Our motorbike insurance can be tailored to suit you, whatever bike you ride, and we work with a panel of approved insurers to get you the best price we can.

RAC Bike Insurance

RAC Bike Insurance Plus

24/7 claims management service



Minimum of 90 days EU cover



NCD discount available (including NCD up to three years old for returning bikers)



Flexible cover options including multi-bike policies and cover for accessories and modifications



Choose from comprehensive; third party, fire and theft; and third party only cover



Helmet & Leathers cover included



Personal Accident cover included



Optional Extras - tailor your cover to suit your needs

  • Personal Accident Cover - Give yourself and your family peace of mind should you experience an accident on your motorbike with cover of up to £25,000 in the event of: accidental death, loss of sight, loss of limb or permanent total disability. Included with Bike Insurance Plus
  • Excess Protect Cover - Claim up to £600 of your policy excess back in the event of: accidental damage, fire, theft or vandalism
  • Helmet & Leathers Cover - up to £1,000 cover for your helmet, protective clothing, leathers, gloves and boots following an accident regardless of who was to blame for the accident. This covers you on any bike you are riding, providing you are permitted to do so. Included with Bike Insurance Plus
  • Legal Expenses Cover - Protect yourself after an accident that wasn’t your fault, with up to £100,000 of legal costs to help you seek recovery of uninsured losses
  • Replacement Vehicle Cover - Provides a replacement bike for up to 14 days in the event of your vehicle being unrideable following: theft, attempted theft, fire, vandalism and accidental damage
  • Key Protect Cover - All keys belonging to immediate family living in the household are protected against loss, theft and breakage to a maximum of £1,500.
  • RAC Breakdown Cover (UK and European options available) - 24 hour assistance in the event of a bike breakdown

Full terms and conditions of these products can be found in the Policy Wording.

Alternatively, call us for a quote on 0330 159 1156.

Monday-Friday: 9:00am - 6:00pm, Saturday 9:00am – 1:00pm. Closed Sundays & Bank Holidays.

Classic Motorbike Insurance

Specialist cover for vintage motorbikes over 20 years old. All classic motorbikes insured for an agreed value.

Find out more   

Planning to ride in the EU after 31st January 2020?

If you’re an RAC Insurance customer, just follow the link below to find out what you need to do and when.

Find out more  

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How old do I have to be to ride a motorbike, moped or scooter?

From the age of 16, assuming you have both a provisional licence and a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training Certificate), you can ride a vehicle up to 50cc, which will be speed limited to 28mph.

From age 17 you can ride motorbikes up to 125cc (A1 category) with the same certification and documentation.

To ride a vehicle above 125cc, you need to be aged 19 or over, and have 2 years’ experience on an A1 licence to ride medium-sized motorbikes (category A2 – typically up to 500cc).

You need to be aged 21 with 2 years’ experience at A2 level, or be aged 24+ to take the large motorbike (category A) direct access test.

Q. What information do I need to get a quote?

To obtain a motorbike insurance quote from the RAC, you’ll need:

  • details of the motorbike you intend to insure
  • your personal details
  • your driving history (including any claims and convictions).

You’ll also need to select the type of bike insurance cover you require, be it Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft or Third Party Only. You can also choose further cover from our great range of optional extras.

Q. What type of motorbike insurance do I need?

The type of motorbike insurance you need will depend on many factors, including your budget, the extent of protection you require, how you intend to use your motorbike and what type of bike you own.

There are three levels of motorbike insurance – Third Party only; Third party, Fire and Theft (TPFT); and Comprehensive.

Third Party cover is the most basic level of Motorbike Insurance cover, and the minimum required by law. It covers damage to a third party’s vehicle, their property or themselves as well as any passengers they or you may be carrying. It does not cover you or your motorbike for damage or loss of any kind.

Third Party, Fire and Theft (TPFT) cover offers the same level of motorbike insurance cover as Third Party Only, with the addition of cover for your own vehicle in the event of fire or theft.

Comprehensive cover is the most complete level of motorbike insurance cover. It adds cover for you and your motorbike in the event of an accident which is your fault, in addition to all the cover provided by TPFT.

We also provide a range of extra cover options, for example, breakdown and legal expenses, to protect you from additional losses not covered by a standard motorbike insurance policy.

Q. How can I get cheap motorbike insurance?

A general rule is that the smaller and less powerful the motorbike, the cheaper the cover will be. However, an insurance policy is calculated using many factors, including your age, annual mileage, claims history, and where you store your bike at night.

It’s possible to help reduce your premium by using approved security devices, storing your motorbike in a secure location, or by riding a less powerful motorbike.

Q. Can I take my motorbike to Europe?
RAC Motorbike Insurance policies cover you for at least 90 days within the EU (this will be detailed in your policy schedule). If you want to take a longer holiday, you’ll need to contact us and we can inform you of your options for getting cover for your road trip.
Q. Can I ride a motorbike under my car insurance?
You require separate insurance for your car and your bike. Your car insurance will not cover you for riding a motorbike.
Q. Can I insure a motorbike and a car together?
We don’t currently offer dual insurance policies for a car and bike. You can however cover both your bike and car with our individual car insurance and motorbike insurance policies.
Q. Can I insure more than one motorbike?
RAC Motorbike Insurance does offer multi-bike policies – please call 0330 159 1156 for further details.
Q. Does motorbike insurance cover my pillion passenger?
You can choose to add cover for pillion passengers (passengers who sit behind the rider of the motorbike) on your motorbike insurance when you apply for insurance. Selecting this option may increase your premium slightly.
Q. Can I insure a quad bike, trike or dirt bike?
We don’t currently offer motorbike insurance cover for quad bikes, but we cover both trikes and dirt bikes, provided they are not used off-road. Call us on 0330 159 1156 for more information or to get a quote.
Q. Can I get breakdown cover for my motorbike?
Yes! The RAC offer both UK and EU Breakdown cover as an optional extra, which can be added to your policy for an additional cost.
Q. I’m doing a motorbike tour of Europe – will you cover me?
You are normally covered for up to 90 days but please check your schedule for details. If you intend on a longer trip you can give us a call and we’ll do our best to provide you with the motorbike insurance cover you need.
Q. Will you cover my leathers, boots, helmet and accessories?
Yes, if you choose to add our Helmet and Leathers cover to your motorbike policy. This will provide you with up to £1,000 cover for these items. This optional extra can be added to our standard product, or is available as part of our RAC Motorbike Insurance Plus product – see the table above for further details.
Q. Am I insured to use my motorbike to travel to work?

If you wish to use your motorbike to travel to and from your usual workplace, you will need to let us know when you apply for your insurance. When asked what/how you will use your bike, you should select “Social, Domestic and Pleasure (SDP) Including Commuting”.

If you will be using your bike to travel to and from client meetings, or to other business sites or places of work, you should select “Class 1: Business Use”.

Q. What is a CBT?
A CBT is a Compulsory Basic Training Certificate. You will need to pass your CBT before being allowed to ride your bike or moped on the road.
Q. Can I use my car insurance no claims discount on my motorbike?
You cannot use your no claims discount from your car insurance on your motorbike. In the same way you cannot use your motorbike insurance no claims for your car.
Q. Will I be covered to ride other bikes?
Some insurers will permit you to ride other bikes on your policy, on a third party only basis, if selected.
Q. I’m worried that I might not be able to continue to make my payments – can you help?

If you think you may be unable to maintain your policy payments, please contact us in the first instance on 0330 159 1156. We have specialists on hand who can discuss your individual circumstances and agree how we can help with your financial situation.

More about RAC Motorbike Insurance

Whether you are a new learner just starting out on a 125cc bike, or an experienced veteran riding a cruiser; RAC offers motorbike insurance from a wide range of insurers to provide you with the cover you need for you and your bike.

Riding a motorbike is about more than just transportation. It’s about the excitement, the freedom, and the fun that comes from being on two wheels. For many, your bike is your pride and joy – and should anything happen to it, you want the peace of mind that comes with having the right motorbike insurance.

Our motorbike insurance can also cover you for any emergency medical treatment, in case of injury during an accident – and as an optional extra, which you can select when getting a quote, we can provide cover for your Helmet and Leathers, should they be damaged following an accident.

All the information you need to retrieve a quote, amend your policy or make a claim


Find the right Moped Insurance at the right price from a panel of our approved UK insurers.


Find the right Scooter Insurance at the right price from a panel of our approved UK insurers.


How does Brexit affect RAC Insurance customers? Our handy guide explains what you need to do and when.


Pay-by-day car insurance from 1 hours-30 days

Motorbike Insurance news and advice

Bike insurance is required by law for anyone riding a motorcycle on the road.


Why it’s so important for riders to have a strong understanding of road safety.


Advanced motorbike training with RoSPA helps you develop riding techniques that can make you a safer rider.


It stands for Compulsory Basic Training and consists of both practical and theoretical, on and off road elements.


* Policyholders must hold a standalone RAC Breakdown Cover policy at the time of purchase, to qualify for the free upgrade. RAC Bike Insurance must be bought direct from the RAC and this offer is not available on price comparison or cashback sites. This offer can be withdrawn or amended at any time.

RAC Insurance is a trading name of RAC Financial Services Limited. Registered in England and Wales No 5171817. RAC Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No. 313989 Registered Office: RAC House, Brockhurst Crescent, Walsall, WS5 4AW. RAC Motorbike Insurance is introduced by RAC Insurance to Europa Group Limited who sell and administer the insurance. Europa Group Limited is registered as a limited company in England and Wales No.3279177. Europa Group Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Financial Services Register No. 309794. Registered office: Europa House, Midland Way, Thornbury, Bristol BS35 2JX.

RAC Motorbike Insurance and other related insurance products are underwritten by one or more of a panel of insurers whose details can be found here. Details of their authorisations can be found on the Financial Services Register.

© 2022 RAC Motoring Services. All rights reserved.