What is single trip European breakdown cover?
Single-trip European breakdown cover means your vehicle is covered for a one-off trip to Europe. A single trip must start and end in the UK, and you must purchase the cover before you leave the UK. It gives you peace of mind that if you break down while you’re away, you can be fixed at the roadside or at a local garage. You can buy cover for one day to 180 days, and everything in between.
Driving in Europe and the coronavirus
Drivers should check the rules for each country they are visiting and be aware of any testing and quarantining requirements when coming home. The latest UK government guidance can be found here.
Here’s how the RAC is responding to the coronavirus in Europe and in the UK.
How much is single-trip European breakdown cover?
The price you pay for single-trip cover depends on:
- how long you’re going to Europe for
- the level of cover you choose (Comprehensive or Comprehensive Plus)
- which zone(s) you’re travelling to (Zone 1, 2 or 3)
- the age and type of vehicle you’re driving
For example, our Comprehensive cover starts from £7 a day, for up to 9 people traveling in a one year-old vehicle in Zone 1.
Compare different levels of single-trip European breakdown cover
Should I choose single-trip or annual cover?
The right cover for you depends how often you drive to Europe and how long your trips are. Here are the main differences to help you decide.
- Single-trip European breakdown cover offers cover for a single return trip to Europe.
- You can buy cover for a single return trip from one day to 180 days.
- It’s ideal if you only plan to drive to Europe once or twice a year, as it will work out cheaper than an annual policy.
- Annual European breakdown cover offers cover for unlimited trips to Europe during the year.
- For each trip, you’re covered for up to 90 days.
- This type of cover is ideal if you regularly drive to Europe.
With both single-trip and annual cover, you’re covered in any vehicle of any age. If you have a caravan or trailer, you can arrange for this to be covered too.
Is single trip cover only for cars?
Our single trip European breakdown cover isn’t just for cars. We also cover motorcycles (12cc and over), motorhomes and minibuses (with up to 17 seats, including the driver) – plus light vans, and vehicles towing caravans or trailers.
We cover any vehicle of any age, as long as it is:
- registered as a private vehicle in the UK, Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man
- a maximum of 3,500 kg (3.5 tonnes) when fully loaded. This weight is called the gross vehicle mass (GVM)
- a maximum of 7 m long, 3 m high and 2.5 mm wide – including any load you’re carrying.
Which countries are covered?
RAC European Breakdown Cover is available in 49 countries – that’s more than most other providers. These countries are split into Zone 1, Zone 2 and Zone 3, so you can easily select the right cover for you and your trip.
Click on a country to read a guide to local driving laws, travel advice, parking regulations, fuel availability and more.